Welcome to Critical MassEach year approximately 70,000 adolescents and young adults between 15 and 39 years of age are diagnosed with cancer in the United States. The National Cancer Institute reports that cancer is the leading cause of disease-related death for this age group.
Unfortunately, they have no medical “home” and too often find themselves in a cancer care system designed for older adults or young children. These settings do not meet the unique needs of adolescents and young adults which can negatively impact their care and life long after cancer:
- Adolescents and young adults have seen no improvements in survival rates in 59% of cancers compared to older and younger patients with similar diagnoses.
- Approximately 50% are never told that cancer treatment will impact their fertility and they do not meet strict insurance requirements for fertility coverage.
- They do not receive developmentally appropriate mental health support which can hinder medical compliance. More than 40% report an unmet counseling need a year after diagnosis.
- They do not qualify for government relief programs which are designed to help young children, low-income, elderly, and disabled cancer patients and not the “healthy” young adult.
Critical Mass: The Young Adult Cancer Alliance is a community-powered advocacy organization on a mission to ensure adolescents and young adults have no barriers to survive and thrive after a cancer diagnosis. We are working in community hospitals, cancer centers, and Washington, DC to transform adolescent and young adult cancer care in the United States.
- Open in Twitter Speak up for fertility preservation! https://t.co/kzQMiQCPVx 12 hours ago
- Open in Twitter Have you joined the Alliance yet? Join as an individual or as an organization. Either way, you help an AYA:… https://t.co/79laQaNkNv 12 hours ago
- Open in Twitter New, easy prostate cancer test can reduce unnecessary biopsies by 50 percent: https://t.co/mXp3nsokWk 19 hours ago
- Open in Twitter You checked out our advocacy page on Monday. So now take action. Tell your Senator to vote NO on #AHCA https://t.co/lkMVoKY8Hg 23 hours ago
- Open in Twitter .@USCBO says uninsured will increase under #AHCA. Tell Congress to vote NO: 1-855-636-9777. https://t.co/jN76lbCyS8 2 days ago
- Open in Twitter @US_FDA approves first cancer treatment for any solid tumor with a specific genetic feature: https://t.co/Sd1wo5ObRG 2 days ago
- Open in Twitter No adolescent or young adult expects to hear the words "You have cancer." Not even @skylerbouchard expected it: https://t.co/RMkC9kNIip 2 days ago
- Open in Twitter RT @donttrythis: Maker therapy! We visited a makerspace in a HOSPITAL, where it's part of the therapy for adolescent cancer patients! https… 3 days ago
- Open in Twitter Mission Control traffic keeps increasing. Have you checked it out yet for resources near you? https://t.co/CSByy24gVk #AYAMissionControl 3 days ago
- Open in Twitter .@katehoughtonAYA & @FirstDescents are on the Hill today. Three meetings down; four more to go. Join them by joinin… https://t.co/AMjZpwcrJ0 3 days ago
- Open in Twitter #ThrowbackTuesday to @cbettis35 last day of chemo last week: https://t.co/kTX3NoIbVg 3 days ago
- Open in Twitter Step 1: Enter Zip Code / Step 2: Search for age appropriate resources in your community & nationwide / Step 3: Conn… https://t.co/CMdLj9Mc4e 4 days ago