Welcome to Critical MassEach year approximately 70,000 adolescents and young adults between 15 and 39 years of age are diagnosed with cancer in the United States. The National Cancer Institute reports that cancer is the leading cause of disease-related death for this age group.
Unfortunately, they have no medical “home” and too often find themselves in a cancer care system designed for older adults or young children. These settings do not meet the unique needs of adolescents and young adults which can negatively impact their care and life long after cancer:
- Adolescents and young adults have seen no improvements in survival rates in 59% of cancers compared to older and younger patients with similar diagnoses.
- Approximately 50% are never told that cancer treatment will impact their fertility and they do not meet strict insurance requirements for fertility coverage.
- They do not receive developmentally appropriate mental health support which can hinder medical compliance. More than 40% report an unmet counseling need a year after diagnosis.
- They do not qualify for government relief programs which are designed to help young children, low-income, elderly, and disabled cancer patients and not the “healthy” young adult.
Critical Mass: The Young Adult Cancer Alliance is a community-powered advocacy organization on a mission to ensure adolescents and young adults have no barriers to survive and thrive after a cancer diagnosis. We are working in community hospitals, cancer centers, and Washington, DC to transform adolescent and young adult cancer care in the United States.
- Open in Twitter Can you take five minutes and tell us how student loans impacted your #AYAcancer care and survivorship? https://t.co/CDW4hV1Eth 18 hours ago
- Open in Twitter We join 33 #cancer organizations, representing patients and providers, in asking the Senate to vote NO on #BCRA.… https://t.co/15quUKEsGo 20 hours ago
- Open in Twitter Alliance #FollowFriday: @FirstDescents offers young adult cancer survivors a free outdoor experience to help empower & connect with others. 1 day ago
- Open in Twitter RT @TheSamfundCEO: No loan forgiveness or federal $. JUST A DEFERMENT so cancer patients can focus on health, not rising debt. Please ask y… 2 days ago
- Open in Twitter RT @katehoughtonAYA: Thank you @MylanNews for inviting @heycriticalmass to the @WorldTeamTennis match between @WashKastles & @SDAVIATORS. #… 2 days ago
- Open in Twitter We’ve created a list of questions specific to adolescents & young adults undergoing cancer treatment https://t.co/trBkOlutcP 2 days ago
- Open in Twitter On average @TheSamfund #AYAcancer applicants report $45,000+ in student loan debt. Ask Congress to help https://t.co/rNS3bBzqWm #ayamoney 2 days ago
- Open in Twitter Only 1% of the US House supports deferment for active cancer treatment. Write your rep today! #ayacancer… https://t.co/mWowOgjBho 2 days ago
- Open in Twitter #SurvivorSpotlight: What ACA repeal would mean to #AYAcancer patients & survivors. @theadvocatemag #AYAACA #BCRA… https://t.co/IP4zi7lLtg 2 days ago
- Open in Twitter This is why we need you to advocate for #AYAcancer patients & survivors. WATCH: https://t.co/J3z6RFci8A WRITE:… https://t.co/M04NHQydGe 2 days ago
- Open in Twitter Don't stop contacting your Senator. Possible vote next week on full #ACA repeal without any replacement. https://t.co/SqVis6tPT8 3 days ago
- Open in Twitter Check out Fertility Scout, a free tool designed by @save_fertility to find fertility preservation services quickly.… https://t.co/Ittb6It3DM 3 days ago